An essential oil is a concentrated, hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile, ethereal oils or aetherolea, or simply as the "oil of" the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is "essential" in the sense that it carries a distinctive scent, or essence, of the plant. Essential oils do not as a group need to have any specific chemical properties in common, beyond conveying characteristic fragrances.
Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation. Other processes include expression, or solvent extraction. They are used in perfumes, cosmetics, soap and other products, for flavoring food and drink, and for scenting incense and household cleaning products.
Various essential oils have been used medicinally at different periods in history. Medical application proposed by those who sell medicinal oils range from skin treatments to remedies for cancer, and are often based on historical use of these oils for these purposes. Such claims are now subject to regulation in most countries, and have grown more vague to stay within these regulations.
Interest in essential oils has revived in recent decades with the popularity of aromatherapy, a branch of alternative medicine which claims that the specific aromas carried by essential oils have curative effects. Oils are volatilized or diluted in a carrier oil and used in massage, diffused in the air by a nebulizer or by heating over a candle flame, or burned as incense, for example.
Depending on their source they may have a different effect, but what can be said for all is that:
* All essential oils have bactericidal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects;
* All essential oils act positively on the nervous system;
* All essential oils beneficial influence of emotions and mental health;
* All essential oils have a cosmetic dermatological positive effect and actively restore and protect the health of skin and hair;
* All essential oils update mechanism of self-regulation in the body;
* All essential oils have a bio-energy activity;
More from Wikipedia...
HAVE A SHOPPING FUN IN OUR STORE